We provide surf lessons, surf equipment rental and accommodation.
The Black Sand Box project in Azores, São Miguel, was born to foster a healthy lifestyle in the local community through sport.
We offer surf and skate lessons for all ages, we organize events, competitions, demonstrations and social action activities. We offer a professional and dedicated service so that you have fun like never before.
Associated with surf tourism, we offer a local accommodation, ideal for those looking for a complete package of accommodation + surfing lessons in the Azores – Blacksand Surf Camp Azores.
Founder & Surf Instructor
Local Surf Pro João was born and raised in São Miguel Island and it shows in his passion and dedication to life by the sea. He is an athlete, coach (ISA level II) and judge (FPS and ISA). João has spent the last five years teaching surfing and training local youngsters.
Originally from Germany, Erik has spent half of his life by the sea, surfing and lifeguarding the busy point breaks in eastern Australia. After leaving OZ and moving to Porto (Portugal), his love of surfing brought him finally to São Miguel, where he is at home today. The ocean and the mountains are his elements. He is a surfer, coach, wanderer, photograph and a part time architect.
Manuel is a local professional surfer, athlete, lifeguard and coach (ISA level I). Growing up in São Miguel, he knows every corner of the island and is allways challenging the secret, sometimes heavy surf spots. With plenty of experience coaching and mentoring some of the next generation Azorean pros, Manuel has extensive knowledge about surfing techniques and is passionate about sharing and improving everyone's surfing skills.
Pedro likes to laugh and to fly high. As a professional Bodyboarder no drop is too steep and no lip is too heavy. Besides bodyboarding, he is also an excellent surfer and gets his surfboard out on smaller days. Beyond the smile, Pedro is an incredible waterman, always looking for sea adventure. A lovely human, great surf coach and fun to be around.
Price List (per person)
|1 lesson||3 lessons||5 lessons|
|Group private lesson (2 to 4 people)||45€||130€||215€|
- the lesson includes the wetsuit, leash and surfboard.
- Discounts available for families, residents in S. Miguel island and Casa da Malta guests.
|1 day||3 days||5 days||10 days|
|bodyboards & Swimfins||15€||40€||65€||120€|
Duration and Location of the lessons
- the duration is 1h30. Please note that the time and location of the lessons are not fixed as we want to offer you the best conditions. we’ll let you know the day before where and when the lesson will take place.
Certification and insurance
- Black Sand Box (Surf) is a company licensed by the Regional Government of the Azores as a tourist maritime operator (OMT-16/2018).
- We have insurances of civil liability and personal accident so that you're always covered (included in the value of the classes).
- The surf coach is accredited by ISA with the level II course.
- 10% discount on surf lessons for Wayzor Rent a Car clients.
Our accomodation Casa da Malta is located in Livramento, only 10 minutes walk from Milícias beach in Ponta Delgada, in
the south shore of S. Miguel Island, in the Azores archipelago.
The house consists of four rooms with one double or two single beds, each one with private bathroom; shared living room, kitchen and dining room; and a garden.
The house is located near two beaches, and there are convenience stores, bars and restaurants nearby as well.
For Reservations click here (email@example.com).
We also offer special weeks of surfing, Blacksand Surf Camp Azores, for more info
please check the surf camp website.
Reopening April 4th 2020